Friday 19 August 2011

Harnessing the power of the 711

Over the last month I have been listening to staff about the ways in which Wolverhampton Homes can further improve its services to tenants. Everyone of our 711 colleagues has joined me in debating key issues facing us as a social landlord - ranging from how we avoid complaints to how we and our tenants can become greener.  Throughout the sessions I tried to talk a lot less and listen a lot more - not easy for me.

But thank goodness I did! I have never come across a better way to get real staff engagement. We used to think that a staff survey every year or two would take the collective temperature of the workforce and we would get happier teams from making one or two minor changes about working life. Actually, the things that frustrate staff are the same things that frustrate tenants!  

It's when one section won't talk to another, when a policy is grey rather than crystal clear, when there is corporate inconsistency or when a process is carried out that is a complete waste of time. I have now got over a thousand comments or suggestions from the people who really know what's going on - the feasibility of which I am already considering. Almost none of the suggestions had anything to do with traditional terms and conditions but everything to do with the quality of life for tenants and taking the business forward.

To be honest, I couldn't have got a better set of proposals if I had got the most senior and high powered housing professionals in a room for a whole weekend! I am very pleased I have harnessed the power of the 711.

No comments:

Post a Comment